2017 Workshop and 2018 Institutes Announced!
November 14, 2018: 1-Day Workshop "SEL is Fundamental" hosted by Woodside Priory SchoolFind out more and register for workshops→
June 18 — 21, 2018: 4-Day Institute hosted by Holton-Arms School, Bethesda, MD
July 28 - August 2, 2018: 4-day Institute hosted by The Nueva School, Hillsborough, CA
August 3rd: 1-day SELected Sessions hosted by The Nueva School, Hillsborough, CA
Institute Early Bird registration for is open until October 31, 2017. Find out more and register for institutes→
Financial Aid and CEUs also available.
Be the first to find out by joining our mailing list.
Since our founding in 2009, educators
from both independent and public schools have looked to our Institutes
and SELected Sessions for SEL guidance and leadership.
Each Institute brings together
K-12 teachers, administrators and counselors from around the world for multiple
days of sessions, collaboration, and reflection that range across a broad
library of SEL topics and research.
a deep, experiential understanding of core SEL principles and practices.
- Help educators cultivate in their teaching
practice the humanity and empathy that can help them inspire students to evolve
into compassionate leaders and resilient learners.
- Inform an educator’s perspective in ways that
help spark creativity and renew inspiration for teaching.
- Strengthen an educator’s capacity to bring SEL
to classroom and community in ways that transform a school.
Institutes include a range of offerings from our array of sessions, including—
- SEL is Fundamental: Research,
Rationale, and Inspiration
- SEL Toolbox: Foundational SEL Practices for Students
- Peace - Building, Conflict Resolution
- Emotion Thermometer: Practices for Self-regulation and Resiliency
- The Power of the Teacher’s SELf
- Advisory Groups: Insights, Ideas, and Design Principles (5-12)
- Influence of Media on Middle and High
School Students: SEL Opportunities
- The Open Session (5-12)
- Catalyzed by SEL: Academic Subject Teaching and Learning (5–
- Designing an SEL Community from the
—Comments from 2016
Summer Institute attendees
“Great mix of experiential and listening.”
“You were amazingly professional, organized,
timely. I felt you always had our needs
in mind. I never felt that you were
wasting my time. Excellent and I will
HIGHLY recommend it."
execution! My colleagues and I have been
so impressed by this Institute. Thank
“I loved the variety of instructors."
“Thank you for your
depth, guidance, expert knowledge, length of sessions, good food and excellent
activities were great! I will use them
with both students and faculty!”
“So many non-competitive
ways to have fun while building trust, teamwork and self-knowledge.”
“I am excited to plan for
the year with this experience in mind.”
“THE BINDER—the exercises and ‘how to’ guidance is priceless."
Our SELected Sessions supplement Institute work with an optional, one-day set of opportunities to deepen
your SEL skills.
The topics the Sessions address are cutting-edge—e.g.,
Rethinking Human Sexuality Education, and Activating SEL and Social Justice through Art and
The Sessions are led led by thoughtful educators in the field.
- Cultivating Positive Emotion to Manage Stress and Sustain Performance
- The Best Tech Tools to Improve Behavior and Monitor Progress and Outcomes
- Empathy and Compassion in the Classroom
- Good Teaching is Good Teaching, Right? Well, That Depends on Who’s Learning
- Intelligence in Motion
- Insights That Build Students Self-Regulation Skills via Enhancing their Hot and Cool Executive Functions
Prior Institutes and SELected Sessions
- SELected Session Schedules
Participants in IFSEL Events are eligible for CEU Credits from Dominican University.
Participants completing One Day Workshops are eligible for .5 of a credit.
Participants completing the Complete Fall Series of (4) One Day Workshops, or a (4 Day) Institute are eligible for 2.0 Credits.
If you are interested in applying, please request the application at the event registration desk.
The application and fees are sent directly to Dominican University which administers the process.
At this time, IFSEL is not able to provide credits for clinical counseling.